EFFECTS OF COW DUNG ON CRUDE OIL DEGRADATION IN A SANDY LOAM SOIL
*Okolo1, Justina C. and Emmanuel N. Amadi2
1Department of Microbiology, Federal University of Technology, P. M. B. 1526 Owerri. Imo State. 2Department of Biological Sciences, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt. Rivers State.
*Corresponding author’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted on April 21, 2004.
The effects of addition of cow dung alone and in combination with surfactant and/or alternate carbon substrate on crude oil degradation in a sandy loam soil were investigated. Cow dung added alone at a concentration of 1.0% (w/w) to the oil-contaminated soil, reduced the extent of crude oil degradation obtained relative to the degradation in contaminated soil not containing cow dung. Enhanced crude oil degradations were obtained in samples containing cow dung at 1.0% (w/w) with either or both of surfactants (Goldcrew or Corexit) at 0.01% (v/w) and alternate carbon substrates (Glucose or Starch) at 0.5% (w/w). Optimal crude oil degradation was obtained in contaminated soil treated with a combination of cow dung at 0.5% (w/w) and Corexit at 0.01% (v/w). This combination effected a crude oil degradation of 9.41± 2.69% relative to the contaminated soil not containing cow dung, after sixteen weeks incubation.