Insect Pests Infestation and Economic Analysis of Insect Damaged Cassava Chips at Storage
*F.A. Ajayi1 and 2S.A. Rahman
1Nasarawa State University, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Agronomy, P.M.B. 135, Lafia, Nasarawa State. 2Nasarawa State University, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Agric. Econs. and Extension, P.M.B. 135, Lafia, Nasarawa State.
Corresponding author: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted on September 30, 2005.
A study was conducted in Nasarawa State of Nigeria with a random sample of 70 cassava traders in the year 2004. 100g of sub-sampled dried chips were collected from both old and new stocks of dried cassava chips. Also, a structured questionnaire was used to examine the cost implications of insect pests’ infestation on damaged dried cassava chips. Results showed that three primary pests; Lasioderma serricorne, Rhyzopertha dominica and Dinoderus minutus constituted 55 percent while four secondary pests comprising of Tribolium castaneum, Cryptolestes ferrugineus, Liposcelis bostrychophilus and Sitophilus zeamais constituted the remaining 45 percent of the total number of insects collected. Estimation of the economic loss on dried cassava chips revealed that about 76 percent of loss in value of the stored cassava chips could be attributed to insect pests damage. The loss in value due to insect pests infestation also accounted for 31 percent of the marketing cost for the damaged cassava chips. This is an indication that improved and appropriate processing and storage technologies are required for cassava chips productions and storage in Nigeria.